Keep your dog busy and their brain stimulated with this interactive treat toy using a few simple tools! A brain game is a great way to provide your pet with a little fun while putting their brain to work, which is just as important as physical exercise.
What you will need:
- Wireless Drill with a ¾” Forstner Bit (use a drill bit that is as thick as the dowel you choose)
- Table Saw (optional) – Your local hardware store can cut wood pieces to the sizes needed
- Wood Pieces: 1 x 18” thick base piece, 2 x 18” side pieces, 1 x 17” wood dowel
- 4 wood screws
- Wood glue
- Painters’ tape
- Measuring tape
- Sand paper
- Paint & paint brush (optional)
- 3 empty pop or water bottles
- Make sure you have all of the required materials & tools.
- Cut wood pieces to size and give them a light sanding to remove any chips or sharp edges.
- Line up your base, sides and depending on the size of your bottles, measure out where you will place the wooden dowel.
- On one of the side pieces, drill your dowel hole completely through the piece of wood. On the other side piece, only drill halfway through. This will stop and keep the dowel in place (we drilled a couple different holes to accommodate different size bottles for different sized dogs).
- Center your side pieces on the wood base. Screw each of your sides on the base using two wood screws in each.
- Drill or cut holes in your bottles and place them on the dowel.
- Secure your dowel in place.
- Paint edges of wood to add some colour (optional).
- Place a few treats or kibble in each of the bottles.
- Let your dog sniff and have fun! It won’t take them long to smell the tempting treats hidden within the bottles of this new toy, but they will have to use their brain to figure it out!
Remember, go slow. This is a new experience for your pooch, that is meant to be positive, and to provide enrichment.
Looking for another DIY pet project?
Check out our tug toy made from old t-shirts!