With summer just around the corner, families are gearing up for Canada Day and the Fourth of July—festivities filled with food, friends, and fun times. For your pets, these celebrations can also mean something else: fear. Unusually loud noises like fireworks can make pets extremely anxious, cause them to panic and even get hurt.
Here are some quick tips to keep your pet safe and sound around fireworks and other loud noises:
- If possible, take your pet to a familiar location far from the festivities.
- Go for a long walk with your pet to tire them out and help keep them calm.
- Offer distractions, like a kong toy filled with treats, music, or the TV.
- Play the sound of fireworks beforehand so your pet gets used to it.
- Stay calm, speak softly, and pet your furry friend to help them relax.
- Reward calm behavior with special treats.
- Try a pet anxiety jacket, which applies gentle pressure to calm anxiety.
- Ensure your location is secure so your pet can’t get away.
- Should they escape, be sure your pet’s microchip account information is up to date so our Lost Pet Recovery Specialist’s can help arrange a happy reunion.