Pets love to roam around and explore the back yard, especially after being cooped up all winter. Before you let your pooch or kitty out, be sure to perform a thorough check of the grounds to ensure it’s safe for your pet.
- Check your fence and patch any holes, fix loose boards, and look for open spaces a pet can crawl through.
- If your pet likes to dig, be sure to place chicken wire, cement blocks, or plastic garden edging around the fence perimeter.
- Ensure your gate latch is pet proof. Some pets are smart enough to figure out how to open it.
- Add fence extenders at a 45º angle to prevent your pet from climbing or jumping over.
- Consider landscaping ideas to help prevent escape, like dense shrubs.
- Keep items like benches, small sheds, or bird baths away from the fence so your pet doesn’t use them to jump out of the yard.
- Give your pet toys or chew treats to keep them occupied.
- Spaying or neutering your pet will help prevent their desire to escape.
- Ensure your pet is always wearing their collar.
- Keep your pet’s microchip info up to date at mypethealth.com.
24PetWatch® comprehensive Pet Protection Services could be the difference between lost and found. Our team of experienced Lost Pet Recovery Specialists are there for you 24/7, to identify your pet and help arrange a happy reunion.