Whether you take them along or leave them at home, travelling with your pets can be a breeze.
Think only the humans in your family like a getaway from the everyday? Think again! If done right, travelling with your cat or dog can be a great experience for everyone—and make for some really fun memories. Leaving your pet at home? Scroll down for some quick tips on how to help your pet enjoy their staycation.
- Everybody buckle up! Pets should not be left to roam around the car, but instead be protected with a pet barrier, car seat, seat belt, or travel crate.
- Try to avoid having your pet stick their head out the window, since this can cause ear damage or lead to lung infections.
- Never leave a pet alone in a vehicle, no matter the weather.
- Stop the car every few hours so your pet can stretch and go to the bathroom.
- Flying? If you can, book a direct flight to your destination.
- Pack your pet’s travel crate with food, plenty of water, their favourite toy, and comfy bedding.
- Remember your pet papers and all pet ID, like a tag on their collar and an extra one on your keychain.
- Research the nearest vet clinic to where you’ll be staying.
- Give your pet plenty of exercise the day before travelling so they’ll be happy to rest while en route.
Boarding kennel tips:
- Ask for kennel referrals from friends and family.
- If you can, visit a few kennels to get a feel for what they’re like and where your pet will be happiest.
- Book early! Just like hotels, boarding kennels fill up quickly during high season.
- Make sure Fido and Fluffy are up to date on all their vaccinations.
- Pack your pet’s favourite things: a blanket, toy, bed, and even one of your t-shirts.
- Leave your contact info for where you can be reached while you’re away.
- Don’t worry—have fun! A little change of scenery is not only good for you, but your pet, too.